Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

To all men who have made in difference in the life of a child, yes I mean you too, Happy Father's Day.  While today I continue to miss Gar, I hurt for my children.  It's their first Father's Day without their father.  All over, on TV and social media, people are remembering Father's Day, and it's like a little pain in your heart everytime you hear those words, because you don't have a dad to make the same wish to your father.  In 1994 my father died on June 6, and I remember that Father's Day was one huge ache all day long.  While it's been a little longer for my daughter's, it doesn't make the pain any less.

A year ago, all of the girls had to work, but we were able to do a quick lunch and get some bowling in with Annie and Kari before their afternoon shift.  Gar did some really good bowling that day and was quite happy about it.  He had a great day.  Now here we are a year later, with plans for church, brunch, and then gathering at his family farm with two of his sisters to scatter some of his ashes.  What a difference a year makes.  It will be a small gathering, I really don't want to make a fuss, just return part of Gar to the fields that he worked so hard on.

As I said earlier, this marks the 20th anniversary of the year my father died.  His death came after a six month battle with pancreatic cancer.  I still miss my dad.  He was a man who loved to have a good time, and the most important things in his life were his wife and his daughters.  I still miss my daddy's hugs and the way he could talk away my fears.

As I sit here looking back on Father's Day, I must stop and pray and give thanks to my heavenly Father.  It's because of God that I was able to move forward when dad died, and then when Gar died, because I knew that they were both home with God.  Thank you God for those two wonderful men in my life.  God is good, all the time.  If you are able, go and hug your husband and your dad.


No comments: