Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

As I write this, I have just made it through my first Christmas in 30 years without Gar.  I made it though thanks to God's strong love, my amazing children and grandchildren, my sister and her family and our many friends.  It actually went better than I had  hoped for, but tonight I am mentally and physically exhausted.  Now I am going to try and chronicle some of the highlights.  I want to be able to look back and see God's love made visible through others.

So let's start with Christmas Eve day.  I had lots of cleaning and grocery shopping to do, which kept me busy, right up to the last minute before 4:00 church.  Tierney and I went to church, where she sang with Rainbow Choir, and I gave the children's sermon and helped with communion.  When we are in church for Christmas, my biggest trigger for tears is always Silent Night.  I sing that song and think of the many saints in my life who are watching Christmas from above.  I can very rarely sing that song in church without totally breaking down and crying.  As far as the children's sermon, that was pretty funny.  Pastor had asked if I wanted to give it to give a different take, so I said sure.  Well the Holy Spirit sure must have wanted the message to come through, because without even consulting, mine was very similar to his.  After church, we went home for dinner.  While we were in church, it had started snowing.  Right before we sat down to eat, our friends Timothy and Allison called to see if they could join us as they did not want to drive to Minneapolis, then back to Ramsey in the snow.  I was so glad they were there, as they changed up our routine, so the hole is our family life was not so apparent.  Thanks Holy Spirit for inspiring them to reach out and ask to join us.  Then it was back to church with Annie, Kari, Liz and Tierney.  Yes, Ti made it through two services on Christmas Eve, she really is her grandmother's daughter.  It was good to be together in the community of believers, giving thanks and praising God.  Love my church family!!!

Today we all headed to my sister Peg's house for Christmas brunch, where Mary and Owen joined us from their dad's.  This past year, my Goddaughter and niece, Amanda and her husband Joel had a new baby boy Rece.  What joy he brings to all of us.  Out of the blue, as we started eating, I started crying.  My family all patiently loved my through it.  While we were there, I checked phone messages and found a message of Christmas greetings from our former Pastor Dale, and his wife Alene.  Another unexpected but beautiful gift from God.

As I read through this, it kind of sounds like one of those Christmas letters that we all get every year at this time.  So, this is my Christmas greeting to anyone who reads this.  Thank you so much for all of the love and support you have given me and my family in the last five months.  Yes, it is only five months, seems like an eternity.  At Christmas we celebrate the "word of God, made flesh to dwell among is."  That is true of Jesus, and Jesus and God's love continue to be made flesh in the form of family and friends.  I may have lost the love of my life, but I am truly blessed and not alone.  Thank you Baby Jesus for these blessings.

No comments: